Festivals & Events
Savannah has a wide range of festivals, with enough variety to suit most different interests and age groups. The agreeable weather of the city and the residents’ love of getting together makes Savannah a city that caters to special events and festivals. Below are some of the major events in Savannah that occur throughout the year. No matter what time of year you visit Savannah, GA, be sure to request access to our complimentary Travel Guide. It’s full of our recommendations for the best restaurants, shops, museums, historic homes, and more.
The Best Events in Savannah
Winters are mild in Savannah, with temperatures rarely dipping below 40 degrees. That’s just one of the reasons why this beautiful town is such a fantastic vacation destination, especially in the winter. Savannah is the perfect escape from snow, slush, and ice. Take a look at the below events to see the best festivals in the winter!
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade: This parade is for organizations that wish to express thanks and remembrance of the life and works of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Savannah Black Heritage Festival: The Savannah Black Heritage Festival (SBHF) is a professionally produced, multi-disciplinary festival. The focus of the festival is to present performances, exhibits, and activities that attract a broad cross-section of residents in Savannah.
- Savannah Book Festival: The Savannah Book Festival is an annual event that is free and open to the public. It celebrates the written word and promotes reading, writing, and civil conversation. The festival features over 40 authors appearing at seven venues around three historic squares in downtown Savannah.
The season of renewal brings new leaves, blooming flowers, and warmer temperatures in Savannah! Day temperatures tend to range in the high 70s to low 80s during this period. Celebrate the warm weather with one of these fun festivals!
- Savannah Tour of Homes and Gardens: The Savannah Tour of Homes & Gardens offers a rare opportunity to enter some of Savannah’s finest private homes. Here, you’ll be able to admire the furnishings that have been treasured by families for generations.
- St. Patrick’s Day Celebration: Each year, thousands of transients and residents head to downtown Savannah, River Street, and City Market for a weekend of festivities. Enjoy delicious food, festive drinks, and plenty of gilded gold and green fun. There is also traditional Irish dancing, professional bagpipers, and huge, jubilant crowds.
- Savannah Stopover Music Festival
- Savannah Stopover Music Festival capitalizes on Savannah’s proximity to interstates 95 and 10 by presenting traveling musicians with a welcoming place to play en route to Austin’s prestigious SXSW Music Conference.
- Savannah Music Festival March: The Savannah Music Festival (SMF) is dedicated to presenting world-class celebrations of the musical arts. They do this by creating timeless and adventurous productions that stimulate arts education, foster economic growth, and unite artists and audiences in Savannah.
- SCAD Sidewalk Arts Festival: Students from the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), alumni, and high school students create colorful chalk masterpieces on the paved walkways of Forsyth Park.
- NOGS Tour of Hidden Gardens: The NOGS (north of Gwinnett Street) Tour of Hidden Gardens is an annual self-guided tour that educates visitors about southern plants. You’ll be able to visit at least six private home gardens in the downtown Savannah Historic District.
- SCAD International Festival: This international event celebrates the latest in design, creativity, and innovation in television and media. Working professionals from all spheres of content production gather for screenings, premieres, panel discussions, and workshops.
- Savannah Scottish Games: A Scottish Culture celebration for the entire family! It includes music, dancing, and athletic competition, as well as children’s activities, shopping, and food.
- SCAD Sand Arts Festival: Students from the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) create sculptures out of sand. You’ll find everything from sea monsters to funny cartoon characters.
Savannah’s summers make for the perfect beach-visiting weather. Daytime temperatures tend to reach the low 90s, though the streets cool off in the early morning and evenings. Check out these fantastic summertime events!
- Savannah Asian Festival: The annual Savannah Asian Cultural Festival brings the continent of Asia to coastal Georgia. Celebrate the rich diversity of the area by enjoying the unique cultures, cuisine, and live performances of the event!
- River Street Fireworks: Join us for Savannah’s main 4th of July celebration, with live music and a fireworks display.
- Independence Day Fireworks: This is another annual Independence Day celebration at nearby Tybee Island, with fireworks after dark.
Fall in Savannah is very similar to spring, with temperatures reaching low 70s to mid-80s. There is less rain in autumn than in any other reason, making it the perfect time to celebrate with one of these events!
- Fiesta Latina: This Latin heritage festival on River Street features dancing, crafts, food, and live music.
- Savannah Jazz Festival: The Savannah Jazz Festival celebrates jazz as a living art form! You’ll be able to enjoy all types of jazz, from traditional swing and melodic standards to funky down-home gutbucket blues.
- Savannah Greek Festival: The Savannah Greek Fest promotes knowledge of Greek traditions, religions, and teachings.
- Savannah Folk Music Festival: Savannah Folk Music Society promotes the enjoyment, preservation, and evolution of folk music and dance.
- Oktoberfest: Visit the beer garden on River Street and enjoy a range of beers, sausages, and other German foods.
- Savannah Film Festival: This increasingly influential film festival includes screenings that range from major international productions to student-created shorts.
- Boat Parade of Lights: Get in the Christmas spirit with this annual holiday tradition, featuring a parade of over 40 lighted vessels. They are accompanied by live music performances, a tree lighting ceremony, and fireworks.
- December Nights & Holiday Lights: Enjoy self-guided walking tours of the Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens’ annual holiday lights show, with more than one million lights.
- Holiday Tour of Homes: Savannah’s Holiday Tour of Homes allows guests to look “behind the doors” at some of Savannah’s most beautiful private residences, festively decorated historic inns and culturally significant museum homes.