When you visit a new city, it can be hard deciding the best way to explore. Between museums, shops, restaurants, and more, it can feel like you don’t have time to discover it all. A visit to the Savannah City Market is an excellent way to explore a little bit of everything all in one place! You’ll be within walking distance of restaurants, unique shops, and more at this iconic attraction.
What Is the Savannah City Market?
The Savannah City Market has been a part of Savannah’s history for many long years: it dates all the way back to the 1700s, before even the Civil War. Much like the historic city it is part of, the Savannah City Market has weathered changes throughout the years and arrived on the other side still with its charm.
It’s nestled in the midst of the Historic District in downtown Savannah, and today serves as a top destination for excellent dining, entertainment, shopping, and more. Here are some of the best things to do at the Savannah City Market!
1. Visit the Art Center
Savannah City Market’s Art Center is home to several different art exhibits from local artists, ranging in genre from everything like fine photography to vibrant Gullah/Geechee paintings. If you stop by at the right time, you might even get to see the artists at work!
Galleries in the Savannah City Market
- A.T. Hun Gallery – you’ll find an eclectic array of art for sale here!
- Alix Baptiste Art Gallery – this gallery offers artwork from Haitan-born Alix Baptiste.
- Signature Gallery – features a variety of art, including paintings, jewelry, and sculptures.
- Stephen Kasun Gallery – you can purchase fine art from Stephen Kasun here.
2. Peruse the Shops
There is an eclectic collection of unique shops at the Savannah City Market. Charming boutiques offer beautiful, hand-crafted jewelry and one-of-a-kind gifts. Cozy tasting rooms boast fantastic local wines, beers, and spirits. You’ll even discover a cigar shop as you stroll through the market!
Shops at Savannah City Market
- Charleston Shoe Company – you’ll find a wide array of stylish women’s shoes at this store.
- Cinnamon Bear – if you’re looking for the perfect gift to commemorate your stay, Cinnamon Bear offers locally-themed items as well as delicious ice cream.
- Golden Realm – a one of a kind store that has some of the most unique jewelry in town.
- Savannah Cigars – stop by to pick up a fine cigar!
- Silver Silk and Beads – this jewelry store is filled with fine and unique jewelry for any occasion.
- Twinkle – a fun, colorful store with everything from hats and handbags to scarves and jewelry.
3. Experience the Cuisine
Whether you’re in search of elegant fine dining or are looking for a casual bite, you’ll find it at the Savannah City Market! Savor fresh seafood, relax with a refreshing beer, or enjoy a no-frills meal.
Savannah City Market Bars
- The Bar Bar – a lowkey, underground bar.
- Pour Larry’s – rumored to be haunted!
- Tree House – live music and two covered balconies welcome you to this distinctive bar.
- Wet Willie’s – try one of the many tasty daiquiri flavor combinations at Wet Willie’s!
Savannah City Market Restaurants
- Belford’s Savannah – fine dining at a historic Savannah seafood & steakhouse.
- Cafe at City Market – cozy cafe serving laid back fare in a great location.
- Pie Society – stop by to try some traditional homemade British pies.
- Vinnie Van Gogh’s – a casual pizza joint with an outdoor patio.
4. Attend an Event
If there’s an event happening in Savannah, you can expect the City Market to often be at the center of it. Many iconic traditional events happen throughout the year, like the City Market Renewal of Vows Ceremony and the City Market St. Patrick’s Celebration. You’re sure to see a different side of Savannah during one of these popular events! For a full list of upcoming Savannah City Market events, check out the market’s website.
Savannah City Market Parking
When it comes to parking in Savannah, you’ve got a few different options. The Inn on West Liberty is about a ten minute walk from the Savannah City Market.
If the only walking you’re looking to do is from shop to shop, there is street parking and parking garages available – consider getting a Visitor Parking Pass if you’re planning to stay for a few days or more. If you didn’t bring your car with you, there are also options like Uber and Lyft.
Return to a Beautiful Inn
After a day spent exploring the Savannah City Market, head back to your beautiful lodgings at the Inn on West Liberty. Whether you return in the afternoon for complimentary wine & hors d’oeuvres or relax outside in our breezy garden courtyard, our historic inn provides a luxurious retreat in Savannah.
To truly immerse yourself in the Savannah experience, staying somewhere with history is a must. The building that houses our historic inn was first built in 1871, designed by architect John B. Hogg — best known for his design of the Trinity Methodist Church on Telfair Square.
Our guest rooms strike the perfect balance between historic charm and modern comfort. Gleaming wooden floors and plush, spacious beds welcome you to your quiet retreat, and exquisite common areas like the garden courtyard provide you with a place to relax and mingle with other guests.